Wednesday, March 04, 2009

not so current events



The other day over at Ken Jenning's blog he asked readers to recall their first recollected news event.

I went to a wiki page that listed sigfificant events from the year 1975 because I thought I might remember stuff when I was four years old.

Turns out... not so much.

There is a reel to reel tape recording of me talking about "Mister Mitchell and Mister Dean" from Watergate fame. But I do not remember the conversation or what I was talking about. I guess everyone thought it was cute to have me repeat names from the news.

Then I went to 1976 and these I actually remember:

July 4 - United States Bicentennial: From coast to coast, the United States celebrates the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

July 18 - Nadia Comaneci earns the first of 7 perfect scores of 10 at the 1976 Summer Olympics.

November 2 - U.S. presidential election, 1976: Jimmy Carter defeats incumbent Gerald Ford, becoming the first candidate from the Deep South to win since the Civil War.

1977

January 23 - Roots begins its phenomenally successful run on ABC.

May 25 - Star Wars opens in cinemas and subsequently becomes the then-highest grossing film of all time.

July 13 - The New York City blackout of 1977 lasts for 25 hours, resulting in looting and other disorder.

I wonder what E, K, and J will remember.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I remember you being a Watergate expert, cementing the base of your current political views!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Ryan said...

Was I aware I was being taped? Should I file a motion to suppress those tapes? Speaking of those tapes, I wonder if there is a way to get them transferred into digital files.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Ryan said...

Papa Tom's tapes ...not the Watergate tapes. I'm sure those have been archived appropriately.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were aware, because you got a huge kick out of listening to whatever we recorded. Although the last time I listened to them, there seemed to be about 8 minutes missing.

Putting them to digital would be great, we'll have to look into it.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Odd Thomas said...

Time for a new post???

How about some pics from Easter?

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Tuesday Taylor said...

I beg of you. Remove the nameless, faceless T-shirt dude.

I'll be in the little girls room if you need me.....

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Hutch said...

No, leave the t-shirt guy post up. Quit telling Kathleen what to do.

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Miss Ushgushga said...

I'm appalled by this whole thing.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been 3 months since a post. Where are the movie reviews?

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they certainly won't remember their mom posting much on her blog :)

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the tune of "Video Killed the Radio Star"....sing it with me...

"Facebook killed the postings on blogs"

:(

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home