Tuesday, July 03, 2007

on death and dying - a two-year-old's perspective



For the last few days whenever we've passed a graveyard (there are three on the way into my mom's) J points out the window and vehemently declares:

I don't wike dis! I don't wike dis!

I wonder why he would feel that way. He has no idea what a graveyard is. His only exposure to the concept of death is when the cicada he was poking with a stick wouldn't move and I told him it was dead. He proceeded to walk around the park finding carcasses asking "Dis cayda boug dead? Dis cayda boug dead?"

But since the body count didn't go along with tiny headstones, I don't see how he would make the connection.

So I guess my question is, are graveyards just inherently creepy, or is there some other reason for what is essentially a nice grassy park with lots of statues being so "unwikeable?"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very young children are able to see spirits. The ones that he is seeing may be disturbing to him.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous poster, little ones can see what one would call "spirits", good and bad. Perhaps there was an evil spirit lurking around and it freaked him out?

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just plain silly, you two are nuts. There are no spirits. My theory is that he just watched Tales from the Crypt by accident when Sesame Street's video feed was intercepted by aliens. Now that makes more sense.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Ryan said...

you're just going to keep commenting until I post something new, aren't you?

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other words...remove the creepy cemetary and post some more cute kid pictures already!!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home