Sunday, October 29, 2006

char-ming pumpkins

As much of a humbug as I am about Fall, there are a two things that the season brings that I really like: Affy Tappels and pumpkin seeds.

Affy Tapples are just, well, awesome. 'Nuff said.

And I really have come to enjoy everything about pumpkins, Jack-O-Lantern's, and the seeds they produce. The girls and I picked out two healthy looking pumpkins at the pile outside of the Jewel a quaint little patch near our home. Both girls gave much thought to, and drew up their designs. After busting the blade of my favorite serrated little carving tool, I had to go old school and carve the pumpkins with a big 'ol slasher movie worthy knife large blade from the butcher's block. I was quite happy with they way they turned out:



E's is the vampire, K's is the Frankenstein. (How much do I love the bolts?...too much. It's kind of pathetic how happy the bolt effect makes me *sigh*)

I love pumpkin seeds, I've been thinking about them for weeks. So, today, I was freakishly giddy with anticipation kind of looking forward to making and eating them. I have a trusted method and way of seasoning them just right with garlic salt. I decided to keep the seeds divided into their respective batches to see if maybe one pumpkin had better tasting seeds than the other. I was quite pleased with the yield of seeds, especially from the vampire, Frank...less so, but enough. This story is building folks, so stay with me. I put in the bountiful seeds from the vampire, set the timer, and went about my business. Soon, too soon, I began to smell what can only be described as, well, burnt pumpkin seeds....why?...why you ask?...

Let's take a step back and see if you recall what happened to me last February when I tried to make blueberry muffins the morning after I made some steaks. Here's something to refresh your memory. Yes, yes, dear readers...I broiled the everloving goodness out of a tray full of seeds. I am soooo mad at myself.

The bright side is that the Frankenpumpkin yield, albeit small in comparison, to the charred pile of crispy remains was properly baked and turned out quite tasty. However, they are almost gone, so I think I'm going to head back over to the patch and pick myself up another pumpkin...I think we need a wolfman to round out the lot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the best Jack immitation I can "munster" up: OH NO!!

I was hoping you'd throw some seeds my way. Sigh.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention, the pumpkins look great! Good job. (I think the holiday is finally growing on you!

But if you wear a gypsy outfit on tuesday, i know you've lost it.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home