Tuesday, August 08, 2006

biblio-who-mancy?

I subscribe to the "A Word a Day" email list, because I'm a nerd like that. One of the words this week was:

bibliomancy (BIB-lee-o-man-see) noun

Divination by interpreting a passage picked at random from a book,
especially from a religious book such as the Bible.
[From Greek biblio- (book) + -mancy (divination).]

My friend Kaz and I used to do this all the time when we were bored. (We also used to play "Do You Want this Trip or Not?" which was kind of like a travel game show where one of use would say yes or no to that question, spin the globe and see where our finger landed...but I digress.) We usually used our literature text books as we were not exactly bible chicks. I forgot all about that until today, so in honor of AWAD and Kaz, I am going to do a blogger version of it right now with a random book from my shelf.

Okay, I have returned with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (because I am a nerd like that as well). I will now ask it a question, flip open the book, close my eyes, and point to a random passage for the answer.

"Will I find a job that will pay me more than $36 a week sometime this month?"

Harry Potter says: "They now joined Katie, Demelza, and Ginny in the stands to watch the selection of their last team member."

Ah Ha! I will take that as a YES!...Team member...Huh? Huh? That's telling, no? And maybe I'll work for some one named Demelza, that would be cool.

So there you have it, bibliomancy at its best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home