Saturday, July 22, 2006

clerks ii


We went to see Clerks II last night (thanks Laura!). I really liked it, but then again I like almost everything Kevin Smith does (yes, even Jersey Girl) The only thing I will never forgive him for is being a part of the abomination that is Doogal. My most loyal readers will recall how I feel about that "film". But I digress...cuz, well, that's what I do (see name of blog).

Clerks is one of those films I can watch over and over and that I often quote. It was made in '94- yikes, that's the year I got married. I remember renting it, loving it, and then going out and buying it. I loved the simplicity, the grittiness of it, the quirky characters, but especially the dialog and Kevin Smith's "take" on things.

One of the things I like a lot about Clerks II is that it has allowed time to have it's exact "way with" the characters. Ten years have gone by, and you get to see these exact characters (and the actors) after ten years of, you know, life; everyone's aged, everyone's gained weight(as have I and the rest of the audience who saw it first when they were in their early twenties). Randall is one of the funniest characters ever written. The way Kevin Smith captures the friendship between him and Dante is so well done, anyone who has ever truly had a best friend will totally get it. The new characters brought into this film are really good as well.

Yes, it's raunchy at times, yes the acting at some points is less than stellar, but it's well written, in that unique Kevin Smith kind of way, and totally has a heart and soul. It's hard to be objective, because I'm such a fan of the first movie and of Kevin Smith in general. But I'm not being paid to write a review and be objective. No, that's what Joel Siegel gets paid to do...or not do...what a goof


Anyway, I really liked it and I'm glad I got to see it opening weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home