Monday, July 24, 2006

q: how do you know you're a nerd?



a: You are one of only two people in the theater at a 9:50 p.m. showing of a documentary about crossword puzzles on a Sunday night.

Said "you" is actually me or my sister Laura. We went to see Word Play last night. It was very good (with the disclaimer that I really enjoy both documentaries and crossword puzzles). It was cool but kind of strange being the only two people in the theater.

It is a very well done and interesting mix of interviews with puzzle masters, (oh yeah, I said puzzle masters)mainly Will Shortz, the long time New York Times and NPR puzzle editor and puzzle enthusiasts including Bill Clinton and Jon Stewart, and profiles of the "favorites" for the National Crossword Puzzle tournament, all culminating in the tournament which was actually quite a nail biter (if you're a crossword nerd, which we've established I am).

Along the lines of, "If you liked this film..."

I highly recommend these nerdy documentaries: Spellbound and Word Wars

Oh, and I must amend my answer to the question posed in the title of this post.

a:You are one of only two people in the theater at a 9:50 p.m. showing of a documentary about crossword puzzles on a Sunday night...and then you BLOG ABOUT IT!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the other nerd, just to let you know, IF I indeed had a blog, it would have been blogged about.

The guy said it was "a special showing" and he was right!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home