Monday, July 31, 2006

kind of a chick flick weekend


Saturday, Tom, the Doctor/Senator/House guest, and I saw The Devil Wears Prada. It was pretty good. I think I would have liked it more if I were one iota interested in fashion. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were excellent but, well, they ARE Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci so...no surprise. Anne Hathaway was good, but I feel like her character made too many leaps believability-wise far too quickly. I don't think they developed her relationships with the minor characters outside of the fashion magazine well enough. I totally understand why they skimmed over that because Meryl Streep was really the whole movie but, like I said, I think Hathaway's character's depth and credibility suffered for it.

I'm sort of interested in reading the book to see how it compares and if any of those blanks are filled in.

Quotables:
"I'm sorry, do you have a pressing engagement? An ugly skirt convention perhaps?"
"Coat! Bag!"



Sunday night, Laura and I decided to reprise our 9:50 p.m. movie theater outing. Last week, it was Word Play, this week we decided to go a little less cerebral and saw John Tucker Must Die. Okay A LOT less cerebral. Where as last week we were the only two people in the theater, this week I predicted that there would be more people but that they would all be female. I was wrong. The theater was actually almost full and I would say ten percent male, a few were tweenage boys with their moms and the rest were dates.

We didn't go in with lofty expectations, we were looking for some mindless humor and in that respect, it delivered. We exited the theater saying, yeah...it was what it was. It had its moments. The female lead was pretty likeable, the John Tucker dude from Desperate Housewives was hunky, (but the guy who played his brother was hotter in my opinion) Jenny McCarthy was actually good as the mom, and it referenced Elvis Costello and Dave Eggers so that got some bonus points from me. Reminiscent of Can't Buy Me Love from "my day" in teen movies.

Quotables:
uh...I can't think of any...I'll update if I do (any ideas Laura?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No good quotes come to mind. I do agree with you about the guy who played the brother. His name is Penn Badgley, hubba hubba.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home