Tuesday, August 08, 2006

making a memory

K, who has the propensity to be of the, let's say, obstinate and difficult persuasion was amazingly well behaved and a downright joy to have around on our trip to the Dells. She seems to have just grown up and matured overnight. She used to be this loose cannon with a flash temper and everything was on the surface. Emma has been deep and introspective since, I don't know, birth. But one moment on this trip with K just floored me.

It was sunset on our last night, the weather was beautiful, the water was still and the almost full moon was bright over Lake Delton. She was sitting on the pier, fishing. I walked over and said, "So, whatcha doin'?" I was expecting a "Fishing, what's it look like?" Instead, she replied, "Making a memory." I asked her what she meant, and she said that she was watching the sunset and the beautiful lake and she wanted to remember it. I asked if I could be part of her memory and she said yes, but I had to sit down with her. So, I did and said, "This is really nice Kailey." She said, "No, wait." Then she told me to come closer, she put her head on my shoulder, and directed me to lean my head on hers. We sat there for a few seconds and then she said, "Now, this is the memory." I really hope she does keep that memory, I know I will.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy,

That is just about one of the most darling stories I ever heard! Your kids seem to say the most amazing things!

Fran (Jennifer is trying to get the rest of us addicted to blogs along with her)
P.S. You look mighty sexy in your picture, Kathleen!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time at the Dells. I love the making memories story!!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home