Monday, July 17, 2006

underpass pigeons

I'm most likely losing my job in a month. This makes me sad. I really like it there and it's just so reminiscent of losing my job last year when my school closed and beginning the Fall (which I hate anyway) with so much uncertainty. *sigh*

One thing I will not miss if I lose my job is my journey through one of the underpasses on 90/94 on my commute home. Since April, this particular underpass has been home to two pigeon carcasses. One decapitated, one, well...probably waiting to be decapitated. Traffic is always pretty horrible, so I have never breezed through this birdie catacomb. I've always inched through in the right lane, next to the ledge, next to the bodies, there's no way I can avoid seeing them.

I keep thinking that someday, they'll be gone...that IDOT or some such agency will have come along and taken them off to a little aviary cemetery or crematorium. They are about five feet from one another, and I often wonder if they knew one another. (I have resisted the urge to name them) As weeks turned into months, I morbidly began to try to see if any decomposition had occurred. Amazingly...none is apparent.

As you, my faithful readers may have noticed, I like to put pictures at the top of my posts. I refrained from doing so for your sake, because if you Google Image "dead pigeon" you actually get images of said key words. And I didn't want to do that to you. This is not a happy post. Sorry. But, hey, if you look at the title really fast it looks like "underpants pigeons"...that's sorta funny.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From this moment forward, they will be known as:

Boxer Joe & Hanes

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home